Many homeowners wonder, “how much does insulation save?” but there is no universal answer to that question. They should be asking, “how much can insulation save?” Insulation energy savings depends on a few factors, and estimating an exact answer is difficult.
Fortunately, however, there are some tools online you can use to help you figure out approximately how much insulation can help you save. And remember, talking to an insulation company is always an option—and a good one, at that!
The cost and savings of insulation installation depend on a number of different factors, including:
- Where you need to insulate
- The type of insulation you install
- The size of your home
- The type of HVAC systems you have
- And more
When you visit CIMA (Cellulose Insulation Manufacturers Association) online, you can calculate insulation savings. You can measure the financial impact of increasing your insulation performance by entering your data into the insulation calculator—the size of your house, the cost of your energy, etc. With the calculator, you can see what you would be saving this year and in the future.
Another tool you can use is the home energy saver tool. It calculates all your energy bills using your current rates and personal information, such as:
- Where you live
- When your home was built
- Whether you have a basement or not
- And more
After filling in your data, you can see your current yearly energy costs and potential savings with insulation upgrades.
How You Can Maximize Savings
Not only can you install insulation to help you reduce your energy bills, you can also take steps to maximize the energy savings for your home:
- Consult a home insulation company. We don’t recommend DIY insulation projects. It’s best to talk to insulation professionals, who can ensure you not only are using the right material but that you’re also getting the right amount of insulation and insulating the right areas of your home to gain the most energy savings. It is a good idea to talk to at least three different companies.
- Make sure your home is air sealed. Air leaks can undermine the performance of insulation, so a home that is insulated but not properly sealed doesn’t do much to improve energy efficiency. Here at Tidewater Insulators, we offer air sealing as part of our Comfort Home Program!
- Increase the energy efficiency of your home in other ways. To support the energy savings gained from insulation, you can make sure your home is efficient in other ways as well. Replace old incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient CFLs (compact fluorescent lights). Replace your air conditioner’s filters every one – three months. Little things like those can add up and help you save even more money. We’ve even written a blog post about easy ways you can save energy at home!
- Contact Tidewater Insulators! If you live in southeastern Virginia, Tidewater Insulators is a good name to know. We have extensive experience insulating homes in Norfolk, Newport News and surrounding areas, and we want to help you maximize the energy efficiency of your home!
Contact us today to learn more about our insulation installation services.