If you aren’t sure if your existing insulation is working, there are a variety of signs you can look for to identify potential problem areas in your home. It’s always a great idea to call a home insulation expert to help you determine if your space is properly insulated, as well as find affordable innovative solutions to help make your home more efficient and comfortable for you and your family.
Signs Your Insulation May Not Be Working
Here are some of the most common signs to look for when trying to determine if the insulation in your home is working.
- Uneven temperatures: If the overall temperature of your home is evenly distributed, your home’s insulation is most likely working. If one room in your home seems to always be significantly colder or warmer, it may be a good idea to schedule an insulation inspection.
- Unexplained increase in energy bills: Take a look at your home’s energy usage history for the last few years. As insulation settles, it can become less efficient. While you may not notice any significant temperature changes over time, the increased amount of energy used to maintain these temperatures will be reflected in your usage history. If your energy bills have increased with no increase in usage, insufficient or old, under-performing insulation could be the culprit.
- Drafts: If your insulation isn’t working properly, you may notice certain areas of your home that are particularly drafty or colder than other areas of your home.
- Water leaks: Heat can escape from your home with poor insulation; unfortunately, this same escape route provides the perfect opportunity for water to enter. If you begin noticing telltale signs of water leaking into your home, it may be indicative that your insulation isn’t working properly.
- Ice dams: A great way to tell if your insulation is doing its job well is by looking for ice dams on your roof. If your home isn’t properly insulated, the rising heat from your home will melt the bottom-most layers of snow. As the water rolls down the roof and meets cooler air, it will re-freeze and form large chunks of ice along your roofline and gutter system.
- Frozen pipes: Frozen pipes can be an indicator that your home’s insulation isn’t working. Poor home insulation in exterior walls allow the freezing temperatures to damage, your home’s pipes, which can cause thousands of dollars in damages.
If you notice more than one of these signs, there’s a good chance you may need insulation repair or removal and replacement.
The Trusted Name for Insulation in Virginia
For over a decade, Tidewater Insulators has been serving residents of Richmond, Virginia and the Hampton Roads area, including Norfolk, Newport News and Virginia Beach, with superior home insulation products and unmatched customer service. Our highly trained and experienced team members are dedicated to making sure your home performs with maximum efficiency and comfort while reducing energy costs.
If you have questions or would like to schedule an inspection, insulation repair or replacement or other services, simply complete our convenient online form, or give us a call at 757-828-0024 to speak with one of our professionals.