The days are getting longer, temperatures are getting warmer and Memorial Day is around the corner—summer is quickly approaching! This means it’s the perfect time to start thinking about ways to save energy and reduce your utility bills for the warm season ahead.
Easy Summer Energy Savings Tips
If you want to save money this summer and cut back on your energy bills, there are a few things you can do! Live in the Norfolk, Virginia area? Call Tidewater Insulators! We can help make your home more energy-efficient (and comfortable) and help you save money by:
- Insulating: Installing insulation in your home, especially in the attic, can help you reduce your energy bills. Our professionals can assess your current insulation levels and re-insulate properly. We offer fiberglass, cellulose, spray foam and radiant barrier.
- Air sealing: Sealing air leaks in your home can help you stay energy-efficient in the summer (and all year round). This helps prevent warm air from leaking inside, keeping your energy bills lower and your home more comfortable. If your home is drafty, you may want to consider making air sealing a top priority!
- Home energy auditing: Not sure where your home is losing energy but frustrated by energy bills that are higher than normal? A home energy audit can be a great solution. Many things in your home—leaky ductwork, improperly sized HVAC systems, air leaks, etc.—can decrease its energy efficiency. An energy audit can find problem areas so they can be fixed. We offer energy audits, air sealing and insulation as part of our Comfort Home Program.
What Else Can You Do?
There are other ways you can save energy at home!
- Replace gutters: Old or damaged gutters can cause moisture infiltration, basement flooding and other problems that can cost you a lot.
- Buy ENERGY STAR appliances: Love to barbeque during the summer? There are energy-efficient ENERGY STAR griddles—and many other appliances and products, such as skylights, fridges, washers/dryers, etc.
- Keep blinds and windows closed during the day: This is one of the easiest and cheapest (cost is nothing!) ways to keep your home more comfortable and help you reduce your cooling costs.
- Change your AC filters regularly: When your air conditioner filters are dirty, not only does the unit use more energy but it’s also more likely to break down. You should change the filters every one to three months—just go to your local hardware store for new ones.
- Buy CFL bulbs: If you haven’t already, you may want to think about replacing your incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. CFL bulbs can help you significantly cut down on your energy bills!
- Take advantage of natural light: During the summer, it’s easy to save on electricity by using natural light and keeping the lights off.
Increase Your Virginia Home’s Energy Efficiency
The last thing you want to deal with this summer is an energy-inefficient home—which costs you more money and can be drafty and uncomfortable. If you live in southeastern Virginia and want to increase the energy efficiency of your home with insulation and air sealing, Tidewater Insulators can help.
Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule a free consultation!