The days are getting shorter, and the temperatures are getting cooler. Although it doesn’t get too cold here in the Tidewater region, there is still a lot of potential for energy savings in the winter! It’s time to start thinking about ways to save energy and reduce your utility bills.
Winter Energy Savings: Easy Steps to Take
- Insulate: Installing insulation in your home, especially in the attic, can help you reduce your energy bills. Our professionals can assess your current insulation levels and re-insulate properly. We offer fiberglass, cellulose, spray foam and radiant barrier.
- Air seal: Sealing air leaks in your home can help you stay energy-efficient in the winter (and all year long). This helps prevent warm air from leaking inside, keeping your energy bills lower and your home more comfortable. If your home is drafty, air sealing should be a top priority!
- Get an energy audit: Not sure where your home is losing energy but frustrated by energy bills that are higher than normal? A home energy audit can be a great solution. Many things in your home—leaky ductwork, improperly sized HVAC systems, etc.—can reduce its energy efficiency. An energy audit can find problem areas so they can be fixed. We offer energy audits, air sealing and insulation as part of our Comfort Home Program.
- Buy ENERGY STAR® products: There are many energy-efficient ENERGY STAR appliances and products you can buy, such as water heaters, boilers, furnaces and more.
- Change your furnace filters on a regular basis: When your furnace filters are dirty, not only does the unit use more energy but it’s also more likely to break down. You should change the filters every one to three months—just go to your local hardware store for new ones.
- Buy CFL bulbs: If you haven’t already, you may want to think about replacing your incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. CFL bulbs can help you significantly cut down on your energy bills!
Improve Your Virginia Home’s Energy Efficiency
An energy-inefficient home can cost you more money and be drafty and uncomfortable. If you live in southeastern Virginia and want to increase the energy efficiency of your home with insulation and air sealing, look to the team at Tidewater Insulators.
Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule a free consultation!